Freshman Orientation

Freshman Orientation

Benet was scattered with frosh on Friday, August 21, as Freshman Orientation began with opening speeches from Mr. Steve Marth and Mr. Marty Wiora. Seniors Tim Jacklich and Kathleen Doyle introduced the students to faculty and joined Father Ed Kucera and Mrs. Jackie Bedore in the opening prayer. Mr. Joe Cabay, entered to standing ovation
explained what freshmen will gather from their four years at Benet, and how they should act to represenFreshmen 02t Redwings. Two videos were presented to show what life at Benet is like and the role of the monks from St. Procopius Abbey. Freshman Fernando Ereneta said, “I was encouraged by the speeches. I wasn’t worried about trying to make new friends anymore because I got a sense of family and community at Benet. Thes
e speeches made me feel like everyone else was like me.” Finally, Mr. Wiora directed the new students out of St. Daniel hall, and the day began.

From the theater, freshmen went to their first period class where they received name tags. Throughout the day frosh went to each of their periods for 10 minutes. Each teacher gave a brief introduction to the class. Every student, for the first time as a high schooler, went to a math, English, history, biology, language, religion, and physical education class. World History was reserved for any freshmen that needed to connect their iPads to the WiFi. Smiling teachers were around every corner ready to aid students who needed help getting to class or opening their lockers. Students were given a cookie and lemonade as aFreshmen 01 snack during the lunch period. After all the classes, freshmen went to the gym to practice various fight songs. The band was there to give freshmen musical queues, and members of Student Government were there to overlook the event. The freshmen ended their day with the Benet fight song. They then proceeded to their lockers to gather what they needed before leaving school on the Benet buses or through a family pickup.

Freshman Orientation is necessary for frosh to get to know the academy before diving into an uncharted high school. It prepares the new students to know where their classes are and what their classes are like.

Freshman Ryan Flynn noted, “I learned that the school is not as big as it seems as long as you know where you are going.” Most freshmen learned similar values from their half-day experience as a high-schooler. Three days after Orientation, all grades resumed classes, and freshmen became a larger part of the Benet family.