Benet Academy Boys’ Swim Wins IHSA Sectionals

Benet Academy

The Benet Academy boys’ swim team poses for a picture after their win at sectionals.

On February 18, the Benet Academy boys’ swim team took on the IHSA Sectional Championships at Downers Grove South High School. With the help of Head Coach Nelly Musso, and coaches John Akalitis and Greg Drake, the Redwings scored an ending 213 point total and secured a victory against eleven competing local high schools.

The morning started early with the diving portion, where Sophomore Varsity Diver Keegan Glynn began his day. On February 3, Glynn placed first at the MCAC Diving Conference Championship, allowing him to perform at Sectionals this past Saturday. Keegan concluded by placing sixth overall and with an amazing contribution to the team’s points and energy for the duration of the competition. Glynn said, “I was really happy to see the team come together and make a push when we needed it, and it was also great to see how we were all able to turn back to prayer when waiting to hear the results.” 

At 12:30 p.m. later that day, the swim events began. Starting the meet with the 200 medley relay, senior captains Jack Larson, Jack Hansen, Brendan Smith, and junior Jake Yuknis pulled in second and obtained a state qualifying time of 1:34.62 with 26 points for the event. 

Moving into the individual events, Senior Jack Larson placed second in the 50 freestyle, only to place first in the 100 freestyle later with two qualifying state times of 21.08 and 46.48. Senior Brendan Smith also finished first with a state qualifying time in the 100 Breaststroke event of 58.61, sending him and Jack to compete individually at State. Yuknis expressed his feelings and said, “I feel like the team performed perfectly today. We did exactly what we needed to do, and with the help of our diver Keegan Glynn, we were able to win sectionals. Keegan stepped up new to diving this year and had a great contribution to the team. I also think two of our relays getting first and second, the leading of our senior captains, and the roles from our new freshman helped us get to how we ended today.” 

Benet Academy’s eleven Boys’ Varsity swimmers continuously worked since November to go above and beyond any expectations, and this progress was prominent on Saturday. Smith, Larson, Yuknis, and Hansen take home one more state qualifying time in the 200 freestyle relay and a first-place title. Sophomore Harlan Apple said, “It was definitely hard, but the team managed to give it our all. I couldn’t be happier with the team we were given this year, and everyone has worked so incredibly hard to get where we are today. It really was the perfect combination of teamwork that helped us win, because, without one of these guys, I doubt we had any shot at pulling off the win.” 

As the day concluded, the Redwings scored a victory and will hopefully send four swimmers to take home a State Championship title.