The Auction Dinner: A Storybook Adventure

Guests+at+Benet+Academy%E2%80%99s+Auction+enjoy+their+dinners.+

Deniz Dogansoysal

Guests at Benet Academy’s Auction enjoy their dinners.

The annual Benet Academy Auction Dinner hosted Saturday, November 12, is one of the most lively events all year, with over 500 attendees. The theme for this year’s auction was “A Storybook Adventure,” and it certainly lived up to its name.

The Auction Dinner is a vital part of the Benet Academy community, allowing parents to mingle with one another and talk to teachers. Thanks to generous donations, the auction has provided the necessary funds to operate the school and provide families with tuition support for the past 32 years. Last year, the 2021 Auction Dinner raised over half a million dollars. Reaching a high goal like last year’s is achievable only through strong community involvement by supporters of Benet Academy such as The Wendy & Rich Galgano Family Foundation – The Call for Compassion, The Benet Academy Dads Club – The Tuition Raffle, and The Benet Academy Mothers Club – The Wine Cellar, and many more.

This event was made not only possible through the donations of these sponsors but also the help of 75 student volunteers who helped set the auction up and ran errands throughout the night. Jessi White, a junior Benet Academy student, and volunteer, said, “It was a great experience and a lot of fun!” She also stated that she enjoyed seeing how well the Benet Academy community organized this event and was glad to have been a part of it. There were also 45 parent volunteers helping out at the event, topped off with a performance by 11 members of the Benet Jazz Combo and The Benet String Quartet.

The night featured various events, from raffles and silent auctions to entertainment by Windy City Dueling Pianos and talented Benet Academy musicians. It was indeed an enjoyable event with a great cause behind it. Without this auction, Benet Academy would not be able to provide the best possible experience for its students and teachers because the funds raised by this event supplement teacher salaries and help maintain the upkeep of the school.

A wide range of exclusive items was being bid upon, such as VIP Graduation passes which provide two parking passes and ten reserved seats for a family to watch the graduate walk across the stage. Another benefit of this pass is a pre-ceremony reception with refreshments and light bites. The next item is perhaps the most sought after item, the VIP Parking Passes. According to Mrs. Gregorio, Manager of Special Events, these parking passes have consistently been trendy and are typically sold at high prices throughout the years. At this year’s auction, three spots were available in Martin’s and one in Daniel’s parking lot. A custom sign with one’s family’s name and license plate(s) designates your parking space in either the Daniel’s or Martin’s parking lot. The next item most parents attending the auction partake in is the Tuition Raffle, in which the winner receives $5000 credit for second semester tuition.

Following the Tuition Raffle, the most valuable part of the auction began: The Call For Compassion. This fundraiser collects critical funds for Benet Academy’s operating budget and the Father Ronald R. Rigovsky, O.S.B. Memorial Scholarship Fund, which provides tuition assistance for Benet Academy families in need. When one donates to the Call for Compassion, an opportunity is provided for a deserving student to attend Benet Academy. The guest speaker for this year’s Call For compassion speech was Connor Loughlin ’16. As a senior at Benet, Connor received the prestigious Robert Shields Memorial Scholarship, went on to attend Northwestern University, and returned to share words of wisdom.

After the night’s events ended, many attendees may not have realized the value of their contributions. However, it is clear from our school’s outstanding achievements that their donations will help to usher in a new era of Benet Academy students.