A Tree of Hope

Lily Dokhanchi ‘21

The Environmental Club pictured with the newly-planted Hill’s Oak Tree outside of St. Daniel’s Hall.

On October 29, 2020, the Benet Academy Environmental club planted a young Hill’s Oak Tree right outside of St. Daniel’s Hall. This tree was purchased through funds earned from last year’s environmental club-sponsored pancake breakfast and now is a part of the dozens of species of vegetation around the Benet campus. All of the labor that went into planting this tree was completed by club members: moving the tree, digging the hole, planting the tree, laying down mulch, and watering the tree all took place on the 29th. A small ceremony was held when planting the tree and several students took part in a dedication of the tree and explaining the good that it will do for the planet. As one student said, “This small tree will absorb 182 lbs of Carbon Dioxide out of our atmosphere this year. When it is mature, it will remove over 550 lbs of Carbon Dioxide every year!” The environmental club continuously works to find new ways to combat climate change, and planting this tree accomplishes this through absorbing airborne pollutants and also providing a habitat for various animal species. 

As another student stated, “This [planting the tree] is an act of doing.” This tree will remain as a symbol of hope, rebirth, and life for years to come, which is especially important during the global pandemic right now. The environmental club has planted this tree with the intention of connecting humanity to nature and allowing the two forces to coexist peacefully, providing some light in these uncertain times. The tree stands as a growing symbol of giving and also of hope that society may mature with nature to move past difficulty to benefit those we coexist with. 

Speakers, club members, and Mrs. Volin can be seen dedicating and praying over the young tree.