Benet Academy Political Club Mock Election

The students and faculty of Benet Academy were able to predict the results of this year’s election several weeks in advance. As you may recall, Benet Academy held a mock election a few weeks ago in which Donald Trump won overwhelmingly.

Besides being a fun way for students to participate in politics, the mock election gave many students their first voting experience. The students were very enthusiastic about voting, especially during this election cycle. Students were able to fill out ballots very similar to those used during the real election. Voting booths were set up in St. Martin lobby and the experience was also very similar to that which a voter would have on Election Day.

When asked for his thoughts on the mock election, president of political club Connor Kolet (’17) said, “We’re really glad that everything went as well as it could with the mock election. It’s so exciting to see our classmates get involved and be invested in the election.” Political club’s vice president Mike Cleary (’18) said, “I think it’s really important to encourage civic engagement at a young age.”

With the election over, it is the hope of Benet’s political club that students will continue to be involved and interested in politics. It is the belief of the club’s leaders that it is always important for one to be educated and involved in the politics of his or her local community and nation, not just during an election.