The Winter Choral and Orchestra Concert

Valerie Figueroa

Concert Chorale and Orchestra performing together during the Winter Concert.

The Winter Choral Concert and Orchestra Concert occurred on March 21 and 22 at 7 p.m. The concert featured the Freshman Choir, the Sophomore Chorus, the Madrigal Singers, the Concert Chorale, the Chamber Orchestra, and Chamber Ensembles. 

Students in Orchestra have been preparing for the concert for ten weeks. The Chamber Orchestra performed Symphony No.6 by Ludwig van Beethoven, Pavane by Maurice Ravel, Winter by Antonio Vivaldi, and Forest Incantations by Alan Lee Silva. Benet Academy Junior Mina Chang was the violin soloist in Winter. She played with passion and never missed a note. Selected students in the Orchestra also performed Domine and Ad Adjuvandum Me Festina with the Concert Chorale. The Concert Chorale and Orchestra only rehearsed two times together before the performance. While this was challenging for students in both the Chorale and Orchestra, this was not obvious to the audience on the days of the performance. Junior Jackson Wand, a member of the Concert Chorale, said, “Singing in the choir was a fun experience. I especially enjoyed singing Dominne. In my opinion, it was the best song in the concert”. 

Some students from the Orchestra also prepared pieces in Chamber groups which were also performed in the concert. The Chamber groups varied from duets to quartets. Le Festin from Ratatouille by Michael Giachetto was a chamber group to remember. Le Festin was performed by seniors Samuel Halum, Emma Gerhard, and Leo Christensen. Four other chamber groups also performed pieces such as O Mio Bambino Caro, Ballet Suite No. 17, Emperor’s Variation I & IV, and String Quartet No. 12 in F. 

The choirs also had many outstanding performances. The Freshman Choir performed Three Latin Settings by Jerry Estes, In This Ancient House by Ruth Morris Gray, and Canta Comigo by Victor C. Johnson. Leia Huie and Mr. Ross accompanied the Freshman Choir. The Freshman Choir was the first choir to perform for the night, and they did a great job setting the stage for performances to come. 

Bianca Clemente and Mr. Russ accompanied the Sophomore Chorus. The Chorus performed Je Ne Fus Jamais Si Aisse by Pierre Certon, Feed My Lambs by Natalie Sleeth, and Festival Cantate by Psalm 96. The Chorus showed lots of range in their performance and songs.

The Madrigal Singers also performed, showing their advanced skill and talent. The Madrigals performed four songs for the concert: Haec Dies by Willam Byrd, If Music Be The Food of Love by Jean Belmont, Rosas Pandan by Visayan Folksong, and Desh by Indian Raga.

The last group to perform was the Concert Chorale. They performed five pieces, including Domin and Ad Adjuvandum Me Festina with the Chamber Orchestra. The other songs they performed include Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Ruth Artman, Mogami Gawa Funa Uta arranged by Obama Shimizu, Sure On This Shining Night by Morten Lauridsen, and Ain’t Got Time To Die, arranged by Hall Johnson. The concert concluded with the singing of the Benet Academy Alma Mater, sung by everyone, including the audience. 

Overall, the Winter Choral Concert was a huge success. Students in both Choir and Orchestra could perform pieces they have been working on for their friends and family.