Potential Redwings are Back for Step Up Day

Jo Reed

Potential Redwings sit in a classroom while getting to know one of Benet Academy’s teachers.

On October 7, over 275 eighth-grade students from different middle schools came back on campus for another Step Up Day. Step Up Day at Benet Academy is an experience for 8th graders to see what it’s like to B-A Redwing.

The day includes current Benet Academy students leading groups of students for an entire morning and attending 20 minute classes where teachers answer questions and talk about their school experience. During Step Up Day, potential Redwings played with bunsen burners in the chemistry labs, filled in the blanks with the alma mater, and solved escape room math puzzles. They saw the highlights of Benet Academy’s teachers, campus, and curriculum elements. Sophomore Annie VanDeWalle, who spent the morning giving tours, said, “I loved answering questions and getting [eighth graders] excited about high school. I hope I was convincing!”

Also, at Step Up Day was the activity fair. Representatives from most teams and clubs on campus were in the gyms, ready to welcome the eighth graders. Benet Academy athletes met their future teammates and shared their achievements on and off the field. Representatives from Benet Academy’s many clubs also welcomed the eighth graders, displaying the variety of extracurricular activities offered. From Disc Golf Club to Chess Club, there is truly fun for everyone. After experiencing a day in the life of a Redwing, the eighth graders felt that being a Benet student is fun, and many of them could not wait until they could do it every day as high schoolers.

This event was executed by Mrs. Peceniak, Manager of Admissions and Recruitment. When asked how she felt the event went, she said, “Truly, everything went really smoothly. We have the best Faculty/Staff/Students in the world, and it is so wonderful to watch each entity work together to share their unique love and appreciation for Benet with our prospective 8th graders.”