Faith, Knowledge, and Service: Catholic Schools Week 2016

Catholic Schools Week is an annual event that celebrates Catholic education across the nation. This year’s theme is “Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge, and Service.” This celebration begins on the last Sunday of January and runs throughout the following week. The purpose of this week is to demonstrate the value of Catholic education and the impact it has on students, the community, and the Church. “Every school goes about it in their own way, but there are many things which link us all as we celebrate this week,” SALT board member and senior, Teagan Earley said.

unnamed-7Benet’s theme for this year’s Catholic Schools Week is “We are BenedicTEENS: The Rule of Benedict in Our Daily Lives!” In planning this celebration, the SALT Board designed the events with the purpose of recognizing our proud Benedictine traditions. Each day has a theme of a different Benedictine charism. The SALT board members have been working hard on this week since the summer. According to Earley, “[planning Catholic Schools Week] was a long process, but we are delighted with the results!”

Catholic Schools Week Schedule: January 1-January 5, 2016

Monday: Community

The week starts off with a fun game of The Great Race Benedictine Scavenger Hunt. Students will follow clues and complete the list to receive a prize. Students will also write on post-it notes what it means to be a BenedicTEEN. These notes will be displayed around St. Martin lobby.

Tuesday: Listening

Students will play a Speed Simon Says game during lunch to appreciate the importance of being a good listener. At the SALT meeting, the sidewalks will be decorated with Benedictine Hallmarks.

Wednesday: Prayer and Worship

Benet will celebrate an All-School Mass with monks from St. Procopius Abbey.

Thursday: Balance

Students will visit the chapel during religion class and pray Lectio Divina as a reminder to pray and spend times with their families.

Friday: Love of God and Neighbor

SALT will host a special breakfast for teachers and sponsor a $5 slop day benefitting St. Gertrude’s school. Students are invited to a day of service in the library as a reminder to love their neighbors. The conclusion to Catholic School Week will be celebrated with a Feel Good Friday!

“The most important part of CSW by far is recognizing how blessed we all are to be going to a school in which we are not only growing in our knowledge and skill levels, but also in our faith,” Earley said.