The Happiest Place on Earth

Froshfest 2019

Most everyone remembers when they were incoming freshmen, walking past the enthusiastic cheerleaders welcoming you as you entered Froshfest in confusion. Everyone probably recalls how nervous and excited they were as they signed in and received a specialized pin with their name and group name. On Saturday, August 17, Benet once more welcomed the new freshmen, the Class of 2023, with open arms as they began their first day together with Benet’s annual Froshfest. An event with a fifty plus year history.

This year, the Froshfest was titled “Benet Academy: The Happiest Place on Earth” with the theme of Disney characters and movies. As the freshmen walked into St. Ronald Gym, they immediately saw the seniors of Benet Academy dressed as familiar Disney roles like Aladdin and Jasmine, Russell and Mr. Fredrickson, the Incredibles, and more. Bella Mendoza, an incoming freshman, spoke about the atmosphere with a shy smile. “It was loud and overwhelming, but it was welcoming at the same time.” Once everyone found their groups, they all sat in a circle, breaking the tension with the usual ice breakers.

And then, the games began!

Rachel Becker, a senior this year, was a leader alongside Nicole Kowalczyk for their group Pumba and Timon. Becker discussed the games they played, saying, “We played musical chairs, the water sponge game, hula hoop contest, the egg race, and everyone’s favorite, Captain’s Coming.” The freshmen raced against each other on the inflatable obstacle course, laughing as they struggled to get through. Even as it started to rain, Becker commented, “… it didn’t stop us from having fun!” Finally, there was the traditional tug of war, seniors and freshmen coming together as they tried to pull their way to victory.

Froshfest eventually came to a close with Mass, celebrating the Eucharist with each other. Freshmen who came in as a bundle of nerves left smiling and hanging out with each other. Becker finished, “… by the end, so many of them [freshmen] were talking and exchanging contact information with people they had just met.” A bright future lays in front of these new Redwings and soon enough, they’ll be the seniors who will lead the Class of 2027 at their Froshfest.