Homecoming 2018 Recap

Remember the Redwings!

Homecoming week is long awaited for the sophomores through the seniors and looked forward to by the freshmen. This year’s theme, picked by Student Government, was “Remember the Redwings,” a spinoff of the popular movie Remember the Titans. Student government spent long hours on Sunday decorating the hallways of Martin’s with quotes from the movie and football-related images to establish the proper atmosphere for Homecoming. To kickoff the week, Benet also hosted a drive-in screening of Remember the Titans outside of St. Martin’s lobby on Sunday. Students pulled in with their cars and friends and enjoyed the movie while also roasting marshmallows.

Leading up to Friday, music played in the hallways picked by Benet staff, as well as ‘Throwback Thursday’ and ‘Feel Good Friday’ tunes. During homeroom on Thursday, Student Government hosted a mini football-throwing game in which the winners would go on to compete during Friday’s pep rally. At the pep-rally, the homecoming court was announced which included sophomore attendants Lauren Lutkish and Graham Cooney, junior attendants Christine Eldrenkamp and Joseph Lipinski, as well as homecoming queen and king Jillian O’Meara and Shane Rogers. The Benet cheerleaders put on a performance which preceded the annual Avions Light Show which finished off the rally.

After an exciting win for Benet Academy Football against St. Viator that Friday night, the weekend was upon the Redwings! The Homecoming Dance, the crown jewel of the week, was on Saturday. As always, it was filled with pictures, dancing, and smiles from Redwings of all ages—past and present. The dance closed, as always, with the playing of Billy Joel’s “Piano Man”, a Benet favorite.