Making A Difference in Appalachia

This spring break, participants of the Appalachia mission trip had the opportunity to assist residents through service in the community of Clintwood, Virginia. After a long drive via Benet minibus caravan, the faculty and students were split into groups and performed service work during the day. Service ranged from repairing, cleaning, and painting homes to directly helping citizens in the community. Within the neighborhoods, faculty and students painted the outsides of homes as well as built fences, railings, and other structures as part of this house repair. The work was strenuous, but the attendees report that it was a rewarding experience that helped to shape their perspective of other cultures. The residents appreciated the help of the students towards fixing their homes, many of which were in questionable condition. The opportunity was beneficial to the participants not only in the service performed, but through getting to know the other students. Following the work day, the faculty and students were able to spend time together, relaxing with music or playing a game. Many took more away from the trip than expected; “I liked getting to know everyone the best. I made friends with a lot of kids I probably wouldn’t have met otherwise,” says junior participant Morgan McAndrew. A truly rewarding experience, the Appalachia trip provided students with a lifelong memory of service, friendship, and growth.