A Day Just for Freshmen

August 17, 2017 was a big day for the Benet Class of 2021. That Thursday, they woke up bright and early to go to Freshman Orientation Day. It was a day specifically for the freshmen to familiarize themselves with their classes, their teachers, the halls of Benet, and so much more.

The day started with musical entertainment provided by various Benet students in St. Daniel hall. Then, as the time for arrival came and went, the freshmen began their first day as Benet Academy students with a prayer led by Father Ed and Mrs. Jackie Bedore. The stage was then taken by Mrs. Lori Rogalski who spoke to the freshmen about the importance of the four years that lay ahead of them. She stressed the significance of having a good friend to go through the years with and encouraged the freshmen to attend new social events. Then, the students were shown two short films, one about the monks at St. Procopius Abbey and their lives, and another made by Kyle Evans ‘19 about a day in the life of a Benet freshman. Following the viewing of the films, seniors Frank Gomulka and Ava Kasprzycki, using stories from their own lives, told of the importance of trying new things and branching out from the familiar. Then, with a wish of good luck, the freshmen were sent on to the next part of their day.

Pouring out of the auditorium, the students went on to find all of their new classes. Each student went through his or her own individual schedule, spending ten minutes in each class. While each teacher used this time differently, the period was generally filled with students meeting teachers and other students, and learning what lies ahead for them in each different class. Freshman Kaitlin Cunningham remarked that this part of the day “helped prepare me for what the classroom atmosphere was going to be like before anything serious started. It also helped me to get to know my teachers and prepare for their specific class.” This time also allowed the freshmen to experiment with navigating the halls of Benet, as they learned from first hand experience how to get to and from each of their different classes.

To conclude the day, the Class of 2021 was led into the gym for a pep rally. Each student learned the cheers that are used at various Benet events, and with the help of the Avions, they accompanied the Benet marching band in practicing these cheers.

Freshman orientation is a very important day for Benet freshmen. It marks the beginning of a journey that is sure to leave a lasting impact.