A Sweet Start

Almost every Benet Redwing has experienced FroshFest, the iconic welcoming to high school. With fun themes such as the 2016 Rio Olympics, it has been Benet’s tradition of welcoming freshmen into the school for many years. This year, FroshFest was held on August 12. It was run by the Student Government upperclassmen, who helped calm the nerves of freshmen starting at a new school and made Benet seem less intimidating. The ‘sweet’ theme this year was Candyland. Teams were made up of different candies such as Junior Mints, Kit Kats, and Snickers.

For freshmen, walking through the doors was nerve-wracking. Feeling utterly lost and excited at the same time, the newest Redwings shuffled into the gym to meet the new class, in its entirety, for the first time. After being organized into groups, the freshmen took part in many activities such as an obstacle course, team building, ships and sailors, and musical chairs. After the games were over, all of the new students and their families gathered in the gym for a mass and a barbecue.
The experience of FrostFest was one that no freshman will likely forget. “My favorite part of this year’s FroshFest was getting to see all of the other freshmen who will be going to school with me and getting to know them better before school starts,” an incoming freshman, Sophie Kash, stated. “Even though I saw many familiar faces among the crowds of freshmen at FroshFest, I am so happy that I got an opportunity to meet and bond with my classmates before the school year.”

Even though FroshFest was only for a few hours, it truly had an impact on the freshmen’s view of Benet. It made them even more excited and ready for the upcoming school year. As Principal Stephen Marth first said to the freshmen at their first assembly as Redwings, “The friends you make in high school will last you a lifetime.” Making friends is what FroshFest is all about, and it will affect their lives for the next four years.