Day of Service, Success and Sharing

During the last week of January, also known as Catholic Schools Week, Benet had a day of giving planned for its students. That Friday was entitled “SALT’s Day of Service.” Using money donated to the Christmas drive, SALT was able to pay for supplies to make blankets, dressers, hats, gloves, greeting cards and letters. It is an opportunity that Benet has provided for four years, and the turnout is always extraordinary. This year 175 students participated, and there was a total of 120 hours of service given.

Mrs. Jackie Bedore, Director of Benet’s Campus Ministry, said, “We choose to have a Day of Service because it gets as many kids involved as possible in our call as Catholics to be active in caring for the poor and vulnerable.” This year the students did not disappoint, they made 23 blankets, 7 scarves, 23 hats, 4 dressers, 40 letters for prisoners, 40 valentines, over 100 greeting cards and addressed 1,300 envelopes for the principal’s office. Mrs. Bedore continued to explain saying, “Catholic Schools Week is a week where we celebrate and give thanks for our Catholic faith, our Catholic school environment and our identity as Catholics.”

During this day, SALT provided an opportunity to make fleece blankets and dressers for Sharing Connections. Sharing Connections is an Illinois furniture bank located in Downers Grove. Students were also able to make fleece hats and gloves for Our Lady of Angels, located in Chicago. A hundred greeting cards, for all holidays, were crafted for Daybreak Shelter. Students also put pen to paper and wrote 40 letters to prisoners. Benet students of all grades served within their own school by addressing more than 1,000 envelopes for Benet’s principal’s office.

Thank you to SALT Dignity leaders, Madeline LaSota and Caroline Kubacki, as well as the librarians, Mrs. Kathleen Swanson and Mrs. Liz Lietuvninkas for a day full of favor, kindness and virtue.