March for Life 2017

On January 27, 2017, 96 Benet students rallied together for one main cause: Life. Over the weekend of the March for Life, hundreds of thousands of people made a pilgrimage to Washington D.C. to defend the dignity and sanctity of life.

This year was the first year that Benet decided to go on the March without a diocese. This was a big undertaking for those in charge of planning the March, which included Mrs. Jackie Bedore, seniors Brielle Heraty and Sophie Gordan, and myself, Liam Johnson. When the March for Life trip first started at Benet, only seven students attended, however that number has since skyrocketed to 96 students.

All 96 students were crammed into two coach busses as they journeyed down to the nation’s capital. Upon the arrived in D.C., the energy was electric. With the new presidential administration in office, many pro-lifers were energized with a sense of hope. So on that Friday as hundreds of thousands cheered and marched for life, the atmosphere was indescribable. All of this protesting was done peacefully, there were no limos set on fire or people of opposing ideologies being pepper sprayed. This gathering with others was to voice our opinions peacefully, and that is the best type of protest. Junior Caroline Kubacki recalled her favorite moment of this year’s March, “The moment I will forever remember is our group singing ‘We Are Called’ in response to the angry man trying to convince people that the Pope was the Anti-Christ. No one got into an argument or started shouting at the man but peacefully sang their hearts out about our mission to serve one another and love tenderly.”

After a successful March, Pro-Lifers from Benet received even more great news. At the Students for Life Convention, Benet’s SALT Life was announced as the National High School Pro-Life group of the year. Congratulations to SALT on an amazing trip down to D.C. and for winning a much deserved award.