Nacho Life to Take!

Benet Academy joined the Pro-Life Movement in celebrating Life Week starting on October 24, 2016. Life Week was a time to mourn the death of the millions of children lost to abortion every year and to pray for the end of abortion. That being said, Life Week was not a dark, gloomy week at the Academy but a time to celebrate and be grateful for the life that we have. This year’s S.A.L.T. board worked for weeks in preparation for all the Life Week events.

Prior to Life Week, many Tuesday meetings were devoted to created Pro-Life posters to hang throughout the halls. Senior Sophie Gordan painted a banner with the words “We Are the Pro-Life Generation” in the middle. Surrounding the words, S.A.L.T. members dipped the side of their fist in either blue or pink paint and stamped their fists onto the banner. After using their finger to dot five toes across the top of their stamped fist, a cute baby foot was made. In addition to the signs decorating the halls, some of the posters were used for the St. Joseph Circle Rally. Early Monday morning, students held up the signs cheering and encouraging the cars that passed by to honk. Senior Nina Hulet commented, “My favorite part of Life Week was the rally because of the enthusiastic atmosphere that was created.”

In addition to the rally, Monday during homeroom, students were invited to come meditate as part of Meditation Monday. Mrs. Jackie Bedore led a guided meditation while the students rested on yoga mats, closed their eyes and focused on their breathing. The room behind the stage in Alumni gym was transformed into a serene environment with peaceful music playing and candles surrounding the perimeter.

For S.A.L.T.’s Tuesday meeting, guest speaker Reagan Barklage, the Midwest Regional Director of Students for Life of America, gave the Redwings some advice on how to conduct a positive argument with a pro-choice person. The following week three more pro-life advocates came to give their testimonies.

After school Wednesday, S.A.L.T. hosted a nacho sale with the theme of “Nacho Life to Take” in Martin lobby. Over $100 was raised in support of the pro-life movement. Students were selected to pass out to pins and start out the clothespin game. Pro-life messages were written on each clothespin and secretly clipped onto students throughout the halls. Once the student noticed the pin, he or she had the duty to pass on the clothespin. At the end of the day, whoever was left with the special red heart clothespins, received a Wendy’s Frosty gift certificate.

During homeroom on Thursday, students gathered outside of St. Martin lobby, St. Joseph circle, and St. Daniel hall to decorate the surrounding pavement with various pro-life messages in chalk. Outside St. Martin entrance, a heart was drawn for every aborted baby per day. The sidewalk surrounding St. Joseph circle was covered in positive messages about life. Lyrics of songs containing a happy life message covered the stairs outside St. Daniel hall.

On Friday, to finish off the week, S.A.L.T. collected clothes donations for Our Lady of Angels. Those who donated were allowed to wear either Benet Spirit wear or Cubs spirit wear. Over 130 bags of nice clothing were donated to the children and teens of Our Lady of Angels. After school, over 20 students formed teams and got together to play bubble soccer out on the soccer field. It was a very positive and enjoyable event.

Congratulations to S.A.L.T. for a very successful Life Week!