Freshman Half-Day

On Thursday, August 23, the day before all Benet students would return to the hallways, the freshmen had the entire school to themselves for a half-day of classes, giving them a chance to adjust to their new surroundings before they were among the upperclassmen. Their day started in St. Daniel hall for a presentation by two seniors, Principal Stephen Marth, Vice Principal James Brown, and English teacher Mr. Matthew Grigas. “[Mr. Grigas] gave us lots of tips,” incoming freshman Annastacia Thiel said about the presentation. “And he was a very entertaining speaker.” Freshman Olivia Ruffalo emphasized how Mr. Grigas “mentioned how the Benet community was so willing to help us.” Truly this is an important lesson for freshmen, as in a new environment that at times may seem intimidating, it is comforting to know that others are there to help them.

After the presentation, the freshmen navigated the halls and got to know their teachers during shortened class periods. These bite-sized time slots allowed students the dual benefit of experiencing the typical day at Benet first-hand, as well as allowing them to begin to understand the rhythm of each of their classes and style of their teachers. “Most of the teachers talked about their curriculum and then about how we will be able to adjust to Benet, even though it may take time,” freshman Kiera Sajewski described. According to the freshmen interviewed, there were multiple teachers in the hallways helping everyone find their way around the school, providing a welcoming and helpful atmosphere for these students’ first day.

Finally, the freshmen ended their day with an assembly in St. Ronald gymnasium, where the Benet Avions performed with the school band. They also learned the fight song which is sung at every Benet football game, helping them be prepared to carry forward one of Benet’s great traditions. “I had a great day,” Sajewski claimed. “Even though I was nervous coming in, I left feeling more sure about the locations of my classes and finding everything.” “I really enjoyed my day and had so much fun,” Thiel added. “It was really nice that they had this day for freshman because it definitely helped!”

Truly, this freshman half-day can be considered a smashing success!