Girls XC Team Survives Hot Weather Conditions for Great Outcomes

With a heat index of 95 degrees and a still wind blowing through the air, it was certainly not the best day for a 3-mile run. Two ambulances made an appearance at the Naperville Invitational cross country meet on Friday, September 22, due to fainting and dehydration. On top of the blistering heat, girls cross country had to endure one of their least favorite courses. Despite the less than desirable conditions, the team still managed to do well.
The freshman/sophomore team ran first and placed 7th out of 12 teams. Varsity ran after and they placed 5th out of 11. Finally, JV ran and finished 5th out of 11 as well. Stand out runners included sophomore Nicole Kowalczyk who placed 14th overall in the freshman/sophomore race, freshman Kelly Andrews who placed 5th overall for varsity, junior Mae Tully who placed 14th overall for varsity, and junior Kaeli Ross who placed 11th overall for JV.
Following the race, Kowalczyk was asked about how she thought the season was going, and what she would contribute their success to. She said, “I’m really proud of how we work together, and I think it motivates us to do better.” Coach Scott Brooks agrees that the girls have had a great season so far and, with a little more practice, they will be ready for conference. This was the team’s 6th meet of the season. There are only two meets left until they make their run for conference.