"We Earn Our Wings!" Class of 2028 Begins their First Day of School
Categories:

“We Earn Our Wings!” Class of 2028 Begins their First Day of School

Freshmen grow and meet new students on their first day of school. (John Augustyn)

Benet welcomes the new freshmen class of 2028! On August 22, 2024, Benet celebrated the incoming Redwings with FroshFest, an Olympic-themed event to kick off the school year!

The day started at 12:00 pm when the entire class filled the auditorium for a welcome to Benet introduction to the school and staff members. Following the presentation, all freshmen got to navigate the halls by walking their schedule and had the opportunity to meet their teachers for the first time. During their last period, students were each placed into an “Olympic” sports group. 

Each sports group was led by two upperclassmen volunteers. All leaders were dressed in different sports costumes and proudly carried their designated sports signs. The first activities took place in St. Ronald Gym, where leaders led their groups with fun icebreakers to get everyone in their group to know each other. Following the group introductions, the students enjoyed hot dogs and burgers while they continued to get to know their group members. Once lunch ended, the games began!

John Augustyn

Each group was no longer just a group; they became a team. Each team competed in fun competitions where they battled for a gold star. The gold stars were put on each group’s sign, indicating how many competitions they had won. The team that ended the day with the most stars won the overall competition, so all teams strived to do their best at every activity! Most activities took place outside in front of the school, but a few took place inside the gym. There were many fun competitions, such as a relay race, gaga ball, and some team-building activities. 

The day was wrapped up by an energetic pep rally to get the new students even more excited about becoming a Redwing. This pep rally included a few speeches from student government leaders and a performance from the cheer team. The day officially ended at 2:30 pm with the freshmen looking forward to their upcoming days at Benet! As incoming freshman Tatyanna Romero stated, “It was fun, a nice get together to get to know people.”