The student news site of Benet Academy

Benet Herald

Filed under A & E

Clarinet-Playing JV Avion, Megan Montinola, Marches to the Beat of Two Drums

Megan Montinola, a freshman clarinet player and JV Avion, is the second Benet Academy student over the last four years to grace both the Benet Academy’s Marching Band and JV Avions team. Since the age of three, Montinola has been doing all different forms of dance including poms, pointe, musical theater, contemporary, hip hop, and jazz.  Montinola naturally joined Avions. She left her ballet studio, Salt Creek Ballet, earlier this year to pursue more activities and get more involved in high school. Had she chosen to stay with the company, she would be dancing for four hours every day.

Though she’s excited to take on both extracurriculars, her chosen activities have proven to be a bit difficult to manage as Avions practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Marching Band practice on Thursdays as well.  On practice days Montinola is at the Academy from seven in the morning to around nine at night. If there’s a home game, she’s at Benet even later- until ten at night. Montinola takes this in stride, however, and uses any and all possible time to get homework done and attend other activities such as SALT and student government. “I try to get everything done as much as I can before practices. I only get an hour break to eat, but there are a lot of distractions like my friends.” Montinola explained.

Not only does Megan love to dance, but she’s also been playing clarinet and piano since fourth grade. Though she doesn’t use her piano talents in school, she plays her clarinet in the Marching Band. Montinola’s mother actually was the one who encouraged her to try out for band.

Both Avion coaches, Mrs. Jennike Kinser and Mrs. Alison Takahashi, and Marching Band director, Mr. Richard Alifantis, have encouraged Montinola to continue performing for both groups. “There’s so many nice people there, and I enjoy it when I go there after school.” Montinola said.

Montinola doesn’t regret her decision to join both Marching Band and JV Avions- though she does miss Salt Creek Ballet. She still wants to be involved in the company which gave her the skills to dance on Avions, and that is why she’s going to help them with their auditions for her favorite show: The Nutcracker. Out of all the years she’s been in the Nutcracker, her favorite were the times when she played a character in the Chinese dance and when she played a gymnast.  

Montinola pointed out that if it wasn’t for her parents wanting her to be diverse in and excel at various interests and activities, she wouldn’t have been doing ballet and band for as long as she has.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Clarinet-Playing JV Avion, Megan Montinola, Marches to the Beat of Two Drums”

1. Merlyn Abaygar on October 1st, 2017 12:57 pm

I have been around with Megan Montinola since her very early years. She’s quiet, intelligent, cooperative talented young kid. Her positive attitude and well mannered ways greatly encouraged her to become a young teen with much interest in various activities where she excels with great pride. I can count this to her parents who took time to encourage and support her all through out and this has made her strong in making possible her success. Keep up the good work WE LOVE YOU!!!! Keep your mind focused in all your endeavor and may the good Lord bless you always!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

[Reply]

2. Gina on October 2nd, 2017 12:54 pm

Good job keep it up, proud parents

[Reply]

3. Edna Escarrilla on October 5th, 2017 6:45 am

Wow! Multitalented! I encourage you to excel in the fields you choose. And don’t forget to take good care of your health. Good luck!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Clarinet-Playing JV Avion, Megan Montinola, Marches to the Beat of Two Drums

A & E

New Films Take Theaters This November: Must Sees for Your Holidays

Showcase

2017 Football Comes to a Close

A & E

Another Fall Horror: The Benet Drama Troupe Takes on The Woman in Black

Features

Redwing Eats: Cookie Dough Creations

• Showcase

Movin’ On Up: Boys Soccer To Play in Supersectional

Features

Just Know You’re not Alone, I’m Gonna Make this Place Your Home

Clubs

Redwings in Poland

Features

Where Did the Redwings Fly This Summer?

A & E

Broadway Comes to Benet

School News

Tuttle and Healy Take the Prize: Student Government Elections 2016

The student news site of Benet Academy