Advice for Freshmen

Dear Class of 2021,

Change is always difficult. Everyone who has completed their freshman year of high school can remember the struggle of memorizing new names, schedules, and curriculum those first few weeks. Luckily, Benet’s seniors are here to help. Upon being interviewed, upperclassmen shared their best advice for surviving freshman year.

“Freshman year grades count no matter what your classmates may tell you.” ~ Anna Hughes
It’s easy to think that because you have three years until college, it’s ok to not try your freshman year. While it may seem unimportant in the moment, freshman year is what sets up your GPA for success when applying to colleges. Don’t make the mistake of blowing it off.

“Building relationships with teachers early on will make your life so much easier.” ~ Jenny Land
During your time at Benet, your teachers are your best allies. Maintaining a strong relationship with them will not only help you be more engaged and interested in class but will be beneficial if you ever need homework help or a favor. Teachers will be more likely to want to help you with your work or your grade if they know that you care about their class and the subject that they teach.

“Use your study halls wisely.” ~ Mia Graeber
After a long day of classes, it will be very tempting to play games or sleep in study hall. However, study halls are a great time to finish your homework so you won’t have too many late nights. By separating free time from schoolwork, it will help you feel more balanced as well.

“Make sure you plan ahead in general and start studying early for finals.” ~ Nick Bratkiv
Finals’ week is the time of year that Benet students freak out the most. The best way to avoid cramming last minute is to create a study-schedule to map out your time and stick to it. If you plan your studying ahead rather than doing it all last minute, you’ll not only have more free time but also achieve higher grades.

“Be nice to everyone. Someone you may not have thought you would have a lot in common with could become one of your closest friends.” ~ Kylie Hart
Everyone is nervous to make new friends during freshman year. Try to talk to as many people as possible in the first couple weeks of school and not just people from your middle school. You never know what someone is really like until you get to know them, and you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how friendly classmates will be if you just reach out.

“If you want to make new friends, join clubs and team sports.” ~ Jack Flood
Getting involved is the easiest way to make a large school seem small. Going to football games, joining a club of your choice, or trying out for a sport is a great way to find people who have similar interests to you. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone!

“Try to avoid stressing out too much, it’s only your first year of high school, and it will all be ok in the end.” ~ Kari Linders
Pulling all-nighters, drinking tons of coffee, and studying non-stop may feel like a good idea at the time, but in the long run, it’s not worth it. Freshman year is just the beginning of your high school experience so make the most of it. Your life isn’t over if you fail one test or have trouble with a homework assignment. By maintaining a balanced mindset, the next four years can be some of the best of your life!

Hopefully, these tips will help you navigate freshman year and beyond! Good luck Redwings!
Sincerely,
Class of 2018