Summer Theater Workshop

This past summer, St. Daniel hall welcomed students, old and new, to participate in a fun-filled theater workshop. At just $5 a class, this summer workshop gave the students extra experience with theater through song, dance, and acting. Some of the leaders for the workshop were Benet alumni. These alumni were a great help, as they know what it is like to be a student at Benet while also offering wonderful insight into the world of theater. Each graduate brought his or her own area of specialty to the workshop. Jordan DeLeon ‘10 brought a wonderful dance routine to teach. Laura Sportiello ‘11 and Erin Oechsel ‘08 ran the acting and singing portions of the workshop. Elizabeth Doran ‘06 worked on the students with vocals, and the Do’s & Don’t’s of auditions.

Overall, the students enjoyed the workshop as they improved their skills in drama. They even found that the skills learned in the workshop were also transferrable into life at Benet, as they helped tackle stage fright with a low-key, fun environment. Freshman Seven Acosta commented, “The workshop was definitely worth my time. I loved every second of it. Everyone that I worked with was really friendly and encouraging, and overall I had a lot of fun!

I would definitely encourage people to participate in the theater workshop if they do it again next year!” Junior Talia Eraci agreed, telling us, “I thought it was a lot of fun. It was definitely helpful, and I really enjoyed being there. The grads who were teaching us were awesome! I would definitely recommend it.” Freshman Rebecca Szarzynski confirmed this, saying that “the workshop was super fun! It was a great way to get to know some more people while getting some tips and practice. I would definitely tell everyone to come next year,
it was an amazing experience!” According to Mr. Brian Wand, all he has to do is give a little reminder, and the skills are there.