Math Team Update

The Benet Academy math team has had a rather successful season over the course of the school year up until their final competition in March. The team practices once a week and prepares to travel around the Chicagoland area and compete. Each competition consists of a grade-specific practice test that is taken by the students from four different schools.
While this year’s math team from Benet did not qualify for the state competition as a whole, a couple of successful individual students and pairs went to the IHSA Math Team state final. Mackenzie Reilhan (‘20) placed for the Geometry sections, and Bernadette Miao (‘19) moved on in the Algebra II competition. The Freshman-Sophomore two-person team of Paul Skaluba (‘20) and Christine Budd (‘21) continues. Paul Skaluba will also represent Benet in the oral competition.
Several more specific teams also qualified for state. The Algebra I Team of freshmen and the Precalculus team of seniors will continue to compete. They will be accompanied by a calculator team and a Freshman-Sophomore 8 Person team.
All of these students will continue to practice their specific event until May when they will travel done to the University of Illinois to compete. The rest of Benet wishes them the best of luck and hopes that they will represent us well.