The student news site of Benet Academy

Benet Herald

Filed under A & E

Oscars 2017

The Oscars: class, sophistication, elegance and, in this year’s case, mishap. This year proved itself to be one of the most eventful and chaotic Oscars yet. From fashion to gorgeous gowns to mistaken identity, the 2017 Oscars were worth watching every minute.

The first ever Oscars took place on May 16, 1929, in Los Angeles. Only 15 statuettes were awarded for artists, directors and other participants. In addition, the ceremony ran for fifteen minutes; nearly three hours less than today’s glamorous ceremony.

The 89th Academy Awards occurred on February 26, 2017, in Hollywood, Los Angeles. The event began with a stunning array of outfits; suits and gowns adorned each star sauntering down the red carpet. Some went with a flowing, elegant style, like Emma Stone sporting a pale gold gown. Others chose a more flamboyant look, such as Hailee Steinfeld in a long, glittering dress accessorized with shining flowers. All the looks were unique and classic, resembling the Awards themselves.

In the theatre, host Jimmy Kimmel kicked off the ceremony with a comedic opening monologue. Afterwards, the awards began. Main winners are as follows:
– Actor in leading role: Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)
– Actor in a supporting role: Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)
– Actress in a leading role: Emma Stone (La La Land)
– Actress in a supporting role: Viola Davis (Fences)
– Best director: Damien Chazelle (La La Land)
– Best picture: Moonlight

All was running smoothly until an unlikely mix-up occurred during the last award. Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty arrived onstage to deliver the “Best Picture” award with the signature envelope in hand. As Beatty opened the card, his confused expression made the audience think that they were doing some sort of joke or prank as he handed it to Dunaway. She read the winner, “La La Land.” The producers and crew went up and began delivering their speeches. However, it was suddenly announced that “La La Land” was not the winner. “Moonlight” was! The conflict was handled graciously as “La La Land’s” producers handed the award over without difficulty, and light-hearted jokes followed the incident. This occurrence served to be one of the most memorable moments in Oscars history.

Despite the unexpected snafu at the end of the ceremony, this year’s Oscar’s was filled with a wide variety of celebrities, fashion statements and surprises. It may not have been the most coordinated event, but the Oscar’s are one of the exclusive events that people everywhere can unite due to one thing– television. Who knows what will happen next year to make audiences return to their TV sets!