SALT Speakers in February

SALT has hosted several speakers over the years. Those scheduled to appear during the month of February focused on chastity. One of the most misunderstood virtues in Catholicism, chastity is defined in a twofold definition: to love and to offer. Love is the act of willing the good of another and putting that interest first. In addition, it is as a self-gift, offering oneself the way that Christ offered his life to his bride, the Church.

February 7 was dedicated to true masculinity and true femininity. These talks were delivered by Mr. Randy Aust and Ms. Veronica Lamlech. Mr. Aust, one of the most beloved members of the religion faculty, explained that authentic masculinity stemmed from truly knowing oneself. The only way to know oneself is through a deeper relationship with God; this relationship bleeds into the rest of one’s life and relationships. In addition, he focused on the virtue of courage because it takes courage to practice virtue, especially in today’s culture.

Caleb Gerth (‘17) said, “I liked this talk because its message mirrored the best Advent Ever program that I did by Dynamic Catholic in that the best gift you can give to others is becoming the best version of yourself.”

Veronica Lamlech is a parishioner at St. Mary Immaculate and the owner of a fashion boutique, Lularoe. It is dedicated to helping women realize that modesty is not inhibiting but an invitation to value women for more than their physical appearance.

In an address Veronica wrote to Benet after her talk, she said,

​”First off, I want to thank Mrs. Bedore and all the SALT leaders for allowing me to give a talk at your high school. I really enjoyed my time at Benet! Up until recently, I had never been there. I was really surprised upon my arrival because I didn’t know what to expect. I was a little overwhelmed because I’ve heard about how smart all of the students are and “little me” was presenting a modesty talk to very intelligent young women!

But, walking up the steps to the chapel, I was very much relieved and became overtaken by a sense of peace. I felt as though the school’s environment portrayed the student’s dedication to not only their studies but also their faith.
​Modesty can be a touchy topic, and it can also be hard to present in a world that tells us the opposite of what God says. But, it is so important!
Here are some reasons why:

Girls, you are far more worthy than what the world tells you! We have the power to turn a man’s heads, but we also have the power to turn a man’s heart as well.
​​

We should know our own dignity and worth before anyone else can discover it. What do I mean by that? I remember when I started “the search.” I longed for love! I wanted some guy to like me, and I thought the way to do that was in how I dressed. It wasn’t until after my first semester in college that God healed me and showed me my own worth and dignity. One of the ways he did that was through the way that I dressed. I found out that my inner beauty could shine just as much as my outer beauty, and I didn’t need scantily clothes to do that!

​Modesty is just that. It is revealing the inner beauty and letting shine forth through your outer beauty! SO LET YOUR BEAUTY SHINE! Frankly, I am worth it and so are you. A priest once said to me, “Veronica, never compromise because you are a treasure, and I can tell God loves you very much.” The same goes with all of you. Never compromise because YOU are a treasure, and God loves you very much.

That being said, it was a pleasure coming to Benet, giving the talk and getting to know the students a little more.

February 14, Valentine’s Day, brought Benet’s first student SALT speaker, Hazel Oreta (‘18). Her talk focused on the virtue of chastity and the importance and implementation of it in the students’ lives.

She said, “Here’s the thing, I recognize a seventeen-year-old delivering a talk on chastity is a little weird, but chastity is how I understand and draw closer to God. Love is an act that I understand and encounter on a daily basis: my mother helping my little brother, my friends supporting one another, my father doting upon my mother. We see acts of love all the time. And it’s crazy to think about, but God loved us enough to take the sins of the world upon his shoulders and die on the cross. He loves us more than we’ll ever know. And this strange, obscure notion of chastity invites us to love others like he loves us.”

February 21, Benet was supposed to host Jeanne Bishop, a well-known advocate against the death penalty. However, due to family circumstances, she was unable to make an appearance. SALT is working with Jeanne to have her speak in a future date.

SALT has done a wonderful job gathering impressive speakers to touch the hearts and minds of the students at Benet. SALT plans on continuing this tradition throughout the year.